2018 RecycleMania Results
Big Red reduces big waste...comments share
By Elena Petkova '20, R5 Student Coordinator, 4/22/18
Recyclemania, the nationwide 8-week long waste diversion and minimization competition concluded on March 31st 2018, and since then the R5 team here at Cornell has been hard at work to consolidate all of the data collected and provide us with a comparison between this year and previous years.
- Between 2017 and 2018 Cornell decreased landfill usage by 285,940 pounds
- That is a reduction of about 20 pounds per student during the time of Recyclemania
- At the same time, we have increased our compost collection by 29,067 pounds of organic material. The change in composting indicates members of the Cornell community are diverting more organic materials from the landfill.
- Recycling efforts lagged - by a 113,671-pound decrease since 2017.
- A portion of the decrease in recycling may be due to an increase in the usage of reusable materials (water bottles, travel mugs, utensils, etc.).
Views expressed in News posts may not be those of Cornell University. No endorsement is implied.